Tracker

Monday, April 26, 2010

A Churchy Moment

I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) when I was 13. As I learned more about my new found religion, I was anxious in sharing it with everyone (I do mean everyone) around me. Even though I feel like I did so with good intention, I realize now that I offended some people, even close friends and family. It is one of my biggest regrets. So I share this hesitatingly, not wishing to offend but to share a very important part of who I am. Please consider this my disclaimer for anyone wanting to close the browser window without reading the rest. This is your last chance.

When we first started meeting with the missionaries, we'd been going to church for over a year and a half. They asked us to read the Book of Mormon and then to ask the Lord if it was true. Heavenly Father, they said, would answer me. I had complete faith that He would answer me. Honestly, I didn't know what His answer would be. I had learned so many good things from church, but I just wasn't so sure about the Mormons. I mean, they seemed okay, but I wasn't convinced.

Yet, if there is a God, which I did believe there is, I knew that He wouldn't want me reading a book that preached falsehood or any other blasphemy. On the other hand, He would certainly want to encourage me to read a book filled with truth. So I read. And then I prayed. And He did answer me. A warmth filled my heart and I knew the words which I read were good and true.

My faith in other areas of life hasn't come nearly so easily as that. In fact, when I told the missionaries about my answer they were thrilled and asked about my baptism date. My 13-year-old self blurted out, "You asked me to pray about the Book of Mormon, not whether I should get baptized. Look, you're just going to have to wait until I pray about that too."

I'd say the Book of Mormon changed my life, but it literally is life and our purpose here on earth. My words aren't very eloquent, but Elder Holland shares his solid testimony of his faith in the Book of Mormon below. And thank you for indulging me a churchy moment. I'll try to keep them to a minimum. :)

3 comments:

Kylee said...

Elder Holland is such a powerful speaker! Thanks for sharing this. By the way...I stress out a lot and somehow I convinced Russ that I could handle things. Good thing I did! :)

David and Kimber Strasser said...

THanks for sharing!

Nathan said...

Isn't it a little sad that enthusiasm can be misinterpreted as something negative?

I hope they realized you were just a teenager who had discovered something amazing, and I'm glad to see you still remember how you felt and have felt the same thing repeatedly ever since.

Oh ... and I agree that the Book of Mormon is pretty awesome.