Tracker

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bad Luck or Paranoia

Apparently P's were a difficult letter for me in elementary school. In 3rd grade I got a ^ on my handwriting assignment. I think that translates to a D. I was horrified. I did the only thing I could think to do: throw it away. But then it occurred to me, what if the janitor sees it and knows that I threw it away so I didn't have to tell my mom? I decided to put it at the very bottom of the trashcan. No, better yet, fold it into a tiny square so you can't see what it is! So that's what I did. Spent ten minutes folding and folding and folding again until it wouldn't fold anymore. Remember this is only an assignment. ONE assignment. Not even a test, much less a final grade. Sounds like paranoia, right?

Well, I ditched school twice in high school. Yes, only twice. [Unless you count senior ditch day, when I got special permission from my mom. And still went to seminary anyway.] As evidenced by the above story, I have a morbid fear of getting in trouble. [Plus, I kind of liked school; just don't tell anyone.] Anyway, the two times I ditched were for a boy. Shocking, right? Well, I had a glorious day of washing his truck together and hanging out with his mom. So obviously nothing scandalous except that I should've been in class. When I got home (about the right time, I might add) my mom asked me how school went. Another one of my faults is that I'm a terrible liar. So I don't do it. I said, "It seemed very short." She dropped what she was doing and blurted out, "You ditched??!!"

Now, some of you may be thinking that my friend's mom called her or somehow she'd known before I walked in the door. If that were the case, she would've said so because that's how our family operates. We're just not sneaky people. So if she says nobody told her, nobody told her. SHE JUST KNEW.

See how bad my luck is? I guess I can't really take credit for doing the right thing anymore. It's only because I know I'll never get away with it. By the way, I ended up telling my mom about the P handwriting assignment within 0.5 seconds of walking through the door. I am so lame.

2 comments:

Kylee said...

Ha ha...I am totally the same way! I can't lie to save my life and the first time I ever fell asleep in school (in my Junior year of high school) the teacher totally called me on it! Embarrassing!

Nathan said...

Peas in a pod. That's what we are. My friends like to tease me because I can't lie very well either.

Usually, if I'm trying to fool someone with a joke, I can barely get the fib out before my mouth is tripping all over itself to say, "Just kidding! I'm just kidding."

It kind of ruins the joke.