Tracker

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Failings of Church Leadership

I know we're not supposed to speak ill of church leadership . . . but I think you all know I'm not perfect. So oh well. Nathan's story reminded me of some of the poor leadership my brother experienced. I actually dated a guy who later became my brother's church adviser. We'll call him Stewart. He was probably my brother's most consistent and concerned leader, in his own odd way, but he also did a few questionable things. Like taking the boys with him on his date. Instead of an activity.

Stewart decided to help the boys prepare to be better missionaries by giving them opportunities to teach. I have a fishy feeling that his real objective was to get out of teaching the lesson himself, but I can't prove it. Anyway, it seemed like an okay idea until he had my brother (my shy, still-scared-around-girls, 14-year-old brother) teach . . . the chastity lesson. Poor soul. I think he muttered a few words of "don't have sex before you're married" and sat down with something like 20 minutes left. I'm sure my brother's inspiring words kept at least half those boys virgins for their wedding nights. Probably.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Oh, he sounds like a winner.

I can't think of anything more awkward than watching your leader go on a date for your activity.

Smooth move, Stew. Smooth move.