Tracker

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To Kill a Mocking Bird and General Conference


Okay, I promise Harper Lee and Conference relate both to each other and to October. At least in my head they do.

Since I was in between books, I decided to reread To Kill a Mockingbird. I fell in love with it all over again. Nobody likes to think that they are prejudiced . . . but I felt awfully humbled. How many judgments do I make on a daily basis? More than I care to admit. God really did make us ALL in His image, but I know I don't treat everyone that way. I should.

General Conference really impressed that upon me too. It seemed like 50% of the talks were related to love (loving God and loving our fellow man). President Monson is probably the greatest example I know of someone today who serves his neighbor. Harper Lee inspires me to respect everyone. Thomas S. Monson (and others like Dieter Uchtdorf) inspire me to love and care for everyone as well.

I haven't decided what to do exactly to love my neighbors more . . . but I will be thinking about it. What do you do to show love to your fellow man? Do you do volunteer work? Care for your spouse and children? Donate to a good cause?

Oh, and the reason that To Kill a Mocking Bird is October appropriate is that the big scene where Scout and Gem are attacked and finally meet Boo (hey, even that is Halloween-y!) is . . . on Halloween! It's a stretch, I know.

No comments: