Tracker

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Kind of Apples

Apples were never my favorite as a child. Yet, they've grown on me over the years, and I find myself craving a good apple this time of year. The BEST apples (and I am totally unbiased) are from Dixon's in Pena Blanca, NM. My kind uncle picked up a mailable box for me, and my thoughtful mother mailed them my way. I have to say, I am loving each one. I'd planned on making an apple crisp out of them . . . but I think I won't. I'll use grocery store apples for that. Dixon champagne apples deserve to be eaten just as God intended them. Another way I enjoy apples (again, I used store apples for this one too) is with onions. Odd, I know, but also delicious. I first found this recipe when I was subscribing to Taste of Home. I promise apples and onions will taste surprisingly better than you think. Hint: I add some white pepper and also nutmeg for extra depth.

How do you eat your apples?

2 comments:

David and Kimber Strasser said...

Well that was nice of them. My fridge is loaded w/ apples i picked from the orchard here. My favorite way to eat them is w/ caramel of course. Now I am getting hungry.

Tamara said...

I love to dehydrate them - we sprinkle jello on them and they are delicious.