Tracker

Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mama


My mom is great. I found one of those silly "where will I be in 10 years" things they make you write when you're 14 at church. One thing I foresaw at age 25 (which is me...+2ish) was that "I still talk to my mom every day." I don't EVERY day but definitely several times a week. I knew I would always stay close to my mama.
  • When I was in elementary school I came home and told my mom that I hated Bobby (or Billy or someone). She listened but then firmly told me that we don't "hate" anyone and not to use that word. Even now I cringe when I hear others use that word.
  • In high school my mom tried very hard to be home when I got home. I'd eat what I call "second lunch" and she would ask me how my day went. If you know me at all, you know how much I can talk. About nothing. For a very long. But she listened nonetheless. She told me recently she thinks right after school is a parent's golden hour to find out what's happening with your teenager. She's probably right.
  • My friend repeated a mildly racist joke that her mom made. I repeated it later to my mom. She was quiet for a few minutes then asked, "What exactly do you think she meant?" I immediately felt guilty and told her I wasn't sure. She said that I probably shouldn't be repeating it then. She knew I knew what it meant, but that was her subtle way of saying she disapproved. I took the hint.
  • Some of my friends thought my mom was mean because she kept tight rules (like good grades, an early curfew). Yet she always seemed to remember what it was like to be that age. Somehow she was both strict and understanding of why I didn't like that she was strict. I'm grateful now for both.

1 comment:

Karl said...

Hah, I'm 23 and text my mom every day(ish)!