Tracker

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Little Mercy

So there are two opposing forces in justice and mercy. I feel like most people may respect one but tend to lean toward the other. Ryan leans a bit to the mercy side, and I probably lean a bit toward justice.

My coworker "Sam" CLINGS to justice. She works in internal audit, so her job is literally to judge the processes and controls of everyone else in the company. Perfect role for her personality, but it sure stresses out the rest of us.

She performed an audit on the department I support and wanted my input on her results. She was harsh, surprisingly so even for her. I kept delicately trying to show her how her numbers were exaggerated and overly dramatic. Finally she blurted out:

"Christie, you're younger than I am, so you just haven't learned yet. You need to make the data look as bad as possible. That's the way you get them in the most trouble."


Suddenly the idea of justice without mercy hit home. I decided I was awfully glad "Sam" would not be my judge in Heaven. Hopefully this will help me to remember to show a little more mercy to others myself.

Lastly, I take offense to the "younger" reference. What in sam hill (pun intended) does that have to do with the price of beans?

No comments: