Tracker

Monday, August 10, 2009

"A room without books is like a body without a soul" - Cicero


One of my earliest memories is of a trip to California when I was three. I remember having lots of fun but getting very homesick toward the end. When we walked into the house I remember being so excited. I said hello to everything (you know how clever little kids think they are--"hello TV! hello couch! hello kitchen!"). But these were only on my way to saying hello to my most prized possession--my books. I opened my book cabinet and pulled out an armful. My books!

Funny how things have changed so much. And yet they haven't. But it's been a few months since I've read something that really captivates me. I always struggle to pick out new books because they may be boring or racy or violent or too sappy. How can I know without taking a risk? I don't like risks. So I try to work purely off recommendations. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer. You'll love it. Here's a link to the description: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2728527.The_Guernsey_Literary_and_Potato_Peel_Pie_Society

I found myself reading it every spare second I had. Also, if you like food books (I'm not sure if you're as obsessed as I am or not) "Heat" by Bill Buford and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan were both good, too.

J Hardy said...

I'd say, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's a collection of short stories - one of my new favorite genres. I also really liked Nine Stories by JD Salinger. Again, short stories.