Tracker

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Irma's Salsa with Christie Commentary

1 (14.5 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes (Irma says use generic; it's less sweet)
1 clove garlic (I use the largest clove I can find because I like my garlic)
1/2 of a whole pickled jalapeno pepper for mild (yech, I don't like pickled anything, so I chop a fresh one with all but a few seeds removed)
1 teaspoon diced (yellow/red/white/not green) onion
salt to taste
1 small fresh tomato, diced (I use two to make it chunkier)
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I use a bit more cilantro than this)
Lawry's seasoned pepper to taste (the recipe doesn't call for it and is good w/o, but I think it adds just a little personality)

First, I like to blend the garlic, jalapeno, and diced onion really well in the food processor/blender; I definitely don't want any big chunks of those to hang around. Then throw in the can of tomatoes and pulse (I add my cilantro after just a pulse or two, but Irma likes to add it later). If you like your salsa really liquid, blend it longer. Otherwise, just get it fairly chopped up. Then, Irma likes to chop her cilantro and add it now that the blending is over. I figure it's lazier, but you can chop it less if you add it to the food processor earlier on. Irma's way is probably better though, I admit. Anyway, add the remaining ingredients, then salt and pepper to taste. Remember that spices need to be stronger if you're going to serve your salsa chilled instead of room temperature.

I'm just learning how to make salsas, so please share if you have a good recipe!

No comments: