Tracker

Sunday, October 19, 2008

November 4th


My next couple of posts will be political, so consider yourselves warned. I am very concerned about what will happen to our nation over the next few years. A vote for either candidate doesn't seems like a "great" decision or maybe even a "reasonably good" decision. I have strong complaints against both the republican and democratic candidates but am not a believer in voting third party. So what's a girl to do?

Here are some of my complaints/observations:

As far as McCain goes, I don't think I need to list most of my complaints with him. I think the media's done a fine job of exposing all of his faults and weaknesses.

One thing I would like to defend him on though, is that the state of the economy is not his fault nor his party's. Bush may not have been our finest or most brilliant president, but he did not single-handedly cause this recession. I was under the impression that our founding fathers had built in something to prevent that kind of thing called "checks and balances." In other words, Congress. Which has had a democrat majority, I might point out. No, I don't think the democrats caused it either. My point is, let's figure out who will FIX it the best, not who caused it.

Many things about Obama make me nervous. No, I do not think he is a Muslim terrorist. I would hope my issues with him are based upon more rationality than that. I won't list them all out because they are a little plentiful. My biggest complaint is his stance on abortion. The sanctity of life is a BIG deal-breaker for me. I cannot see myself voting for/supporting any candidate who is pro-partial birth abortion. I think that every woman has a right to decide what happens to her own body. Yes, her OWN body. Not somebody else's. It's not the only issue, but it is a VERY important one to me.

In summary, neither candidate accurately reflects my social, fiscal, or moral views. I admit I'm very discouraged about the future of our nation.

2 comments:

Brad said...

You believe that a woman has a right over her own body but favor legislation that limits that? Being pro-choice is not being pro-abortion.

Christie said...

I believe a woman has a right to what she does, but only so far as it doesn't affect another's life. She could have a beer or four in her own home, but she couldn't then go driving drunk. I know pro-choice isn't pro-abortion. But I don't think a woman should be able to choose whether an unborn baby lives or dies. Especially since she already made the choice that caused the fetus to exist to begin w/.

My generally philosophy of politics is that your rights end when another's begin. I think abortion infringes upon the unborn child's rights. Now, some people would argue that an unborn child doesn't have rights, but that's a different argument.